Friday, March 30, 2012

How Long Do you Keep the Secret..i.e. Who to Tell Who Not to Tell?

If you've done so much as read the title of this blog then you know I am stand-up comic- which is sort of like being a gossip- a really funny gossip. The difference is the dirt I dish is already out when I talk about it on stage which is what makes it funny 'cause everyone hopefully knows what the hell I'm talking about. As a comic it is my job and passion to share information- especially about ME! Don't get me wrong- I'm a great secret keeper when it's someone else's secret, but since it's my business it's been a little tougher than usual upholding the "12 week/ getting through the 1st trimester rule". Especially when I want to explain to people why I randomly burst into tears on an airplane, or turn into a "mean girl" for no reason, or why I can't make it to a great friend's birthday party in The Village that starts at 9:30pm on a MONDAY night! (BTW I realize that if you're anywhere but New York City or have never lived here you're mouth is probably agape at that start time- especially on a school night.) But as a veteran New Yorker of 15 years that is nothing to bat an eye at. However, when you've gone ALL day w/ your tah-tahs aching and feeling like you've been riding the Tower of Terror non-stop it makes it a bit difficult to re-shower, apply make-up, catch a cab and pay $8 for a ginger ale while standing in stilettos in a minimalist bar.

My hush-hush secret will eventually have to come out. I mean in a matter of months I'm going to look like I've swallowed a watermelon whole or have suddenly turned from a social wine drinker into Norm from Cheers. In the mean time, I guess, I'll just have to suck it up when people assume I gave up the ghost and the gym after getting married.

1 comment: